YELLOW CAULIFLOWER

Cauliflower has a beautiful name in my opinion, it looks stunning in its immaculate white blossoms, but well, it is kind of plain and it smells a bit funny. So I usually buy it only when it is on a special sale and still forget it in the deep meanders of my fridge.

Yesterday, browsing in one of the many unused cookbooks that sit idly in my bookshelves, I found an Indian style recipe here (phulgobi matar tamatar sabji a.k.a. cauliflower pea tomato curry) and we enjoyed it enough to make it a new family standard.

This is my barely adapted version:

We were three and I believe it is enough for four people (which means I have smelly leftovers waiting for me in my fridge).

What you need:

1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
1 fresh chili pepper, washed and chopped
2 tomatoes, washed and cubed
1 cauliflower, thoroughly washed and cut into florets
½ cup water
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp turmeric
1 cup frozen peas
Sprinkle of parsley

How to do it:

Put a non stick pot on medium heat and stir-fry briefly oil, cumin and chili pepper. 

Add the tomatoes and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. 

Add the cauliflower, turmeric, salt, water. Stir until the turmeric is dissolved and the cauliflower is uniformly yellow. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn down on low and let simmer for 10 minutes stirring once or twice.

Add the frozen peas on top and let them thaw and warm up for a couple of minutes. Stir everything and let simmer for other 5-7 minutes or until done. Add water if necessary. Taste for salt and adjust if needed. 

Before serving sprinkle with some parsley.


We ate it with coconut rice and dhal

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Letture ed una torta al limone

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale