BANANA MUFFINS

Among the cookbooks I purchased lately, my favorite is A Lighter Way to Bake by Lorraine Pascale.

I actually already own two of her previous books, so I did try to refrain to get this one, but alas, I am still working on my compulsive buying habits.

Yet I have to admit this was a great addiction to my bookshelves: I have already baked several recipes and they are simply lovely just as they are (most of the times).

Now I am very poor at following recipes, so I always mingle here and there based upon the distraught status of my pantry. Lorraine strongly advise against it, but so far I have to say that substitutions of like ingredients (such as almond milk instead of cow’s milk) have not had a noticeable impact on the outcome.

This is the recipes I tried (and barely mingled with) yesterday:

300 g whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 pinch of salt
Juice of one lemon and of one orange each. Add milk to equal 200ml (it will curdle).
2 eggs
50 ml sunflower oil
2 tbsp honey
3 overripe bananas, mashed with a fork

Preheat oven at 200 C degrees.

Mix dry ingredients.

Beat eggs. Add oil and honey and beat again. Add citrus curdle and beat. Add mashed bananas. Mix in dry ingredients.

Divide in 12 muffin cups lined with parchment paper.

Cook for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted inside is pretty dry, given the banana presence.

Lovely just baked out of the oven, my little toddler had one with a hint of parchment paper still on, which I would advise against, but he was on his father’s watch, who claims a bit of paper does not kill anyone.


This morning they were soft and nice. I suspect they will not survive until tomorrow.

Notes on substitutions (2014/06/29): I have made this other version: agave syrup and coconut oil instead of honey and sunflower oil and I have added a handful of coarsely chopped cashews. Lovely! 

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Struggles and strudel