Zuppa di cicerchie (Lathyrus sativus)

I bought cicerchie twice in my lifetime: a few years ago at a farmers’ market. After I cooked them my mother told me that they were inhabited by little creatures and she was shocked I did not even notice it. Sneaky pulse worms, you cheated on me!

Next purchase happened a few weeks ago. When my loved one drives me insane, I just buy pulses: this is my cold vengeance, normally served hot in the form of a soup, against his intemperance or naughty remarks.

It turns out cicerchie need to be soaked like most of the pulses, despite being half naked and split in half. Inadvertently they stayed in fresh water for a day more than planned (anything is better than pulses and my dearest one endeavors all his finest arts to bring me away from the pressure cooker).

I decided then to dress them in an ensemble of celery root, carrots and certain dried herbs from Provence (cerfeuil, thym citron and ail des ours). It tasted nicely, though it looks creepy in pictures. I had no idea soups could be as photogenic as I am.

Other notes from my recent past to memorize (possibly):

1.      When purchasing lamps, please remember to check how to substitute the light bulb. If you need to disembody the whole thing, change product, especially if your beloved toddler enjoys climbing ladders and mingling with glass parts of the lamp, screwdrivers and the like;


2.      Actually you do not need to cook a gallon of marmalade: a little as half a pound is enough to provide a nice, bright vase of fruity sugary thing for an instant delightful breakfast. Obviously the advantage of tasting out of season fruits in other times of the year get lost, but you enjoy homemade jam with very little fuss. Thanks to this post from spiceupthecurry for this brilliant idea. For a little less than a pound strawberries, use half a lemon, 100 g cane sugar and a bright flame, cook about 20 minutes.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Letture ed una torta al limone

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale