Galletta al cappuccio

The other day I had to prepare something for dinner that would also work as a take away meal for my big man. Then I thought, just as I use one slim baking pan, I can easily fit another one with a sweet dough. I had many doubts, as I never cook at the same time sweet and savory things and I was afraid the flavors would mingle, but happily it did not happen. Here there are some useful considerations to take into account while  baking multiple items in one oven. Personally I have used fan oven 170° C and it all went fine.

She did look cute in reality...
So I baked this quick bread with tomatoes (at its best the day it is baked, afterwards it tends to be too dry) and a sweet one from one of my  Moosewood cookbooksbut now I forgot the recipe, so I will have to look it back and then fill up this gap J

Then I baked a sweetheart cabbage galette

Cabbages are normally lovely vegetables, they last forever and they are very cheap. Yet there is also a dark side: they smell and they have a pretty bland taste. Sorry to my beloved cabbages as I am being unfairly brutal to you. To make amends, please bear in mind that I am just as iniquitous also to your cousins cauliflowers… 

So as it happens, unless cabbages are finely shredded in my salad, I keep forgetting them at the bottom of the vegetable drawer. Yet now I have to empty my fridge as much as I can, given that finally we will go to the seaside, hooray! Then this nice fellow came out of his chilly home and my significant other (he names himself a “cittadino” city dweller, compared to I “campagnola” countryside lady) asked for a salad until he realized that it was only a humble cabbage.

The galette turned out MERAVIGLIOSA – marvelous, so my dearest one said.

What you need:

Filling:
1 tsp dill seeds
1 tsp cumin
3 tbsp oil*
1 sweetheart cabbage, shredded
salt to taste (I used about ½ tsp)
½ tsp cayenne
100 g provolone piccante**, shredded

Crust:
150 g plain flour
100 g whole wheat flour
50 g montasio, mild, grated
4 tbsp greek yogurt
2 tbsp oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of baking powder
Chilled water (about a couple of tbsp)

To assemble:
Oat flakes

First toast the dill and cumin briefly on a non stick frying pan on medium heat. Add the oil, cabbage, salt and cayenne. Stir fry until the cabbage is coated in oil. Cook it until almost done (leave a little crunch to that green things). Stir every once in a while, not too much and not too vigorously, you do not wish to end up with a cabbage mash.

Prepare the crust: mix the cheese and the flowers with a fork, add the yogurt, oil, salt and baking powder. You should have a rather crumbly dough. Add sprinkles of water and work quickly to form a stiff dough.

Fold a baking tray with parchment paper.

Roll out the dough directly on the parchment paper until it is about half inch thick. Sprinkle to oats on top.

Mix the cabbage with the cheese, put it in the middle of the pie crust. Fold over the sides and bake for 40 minutes at 180°C.

NOTES:

* When I write oil, I mean Italian extravirgin olive oil. You can substitute any fat of your liking, but try to have high quality fat in your pantry. The price difference is totally worth it. Better to eat smaller amounts, but let them have the proper taste. I would never use margarine or the liking. I am fine with butter and other vegetable oils (safflower, coconut…) as far as they are top quality.

** I adore provolone piccante. I believe a strong tasting cheese complements well the cabbage. When I outsource cheese, my priorities are quality and price. The best way to get a nice cheese is to stay local. Imported cheeses are always expensive and they normally have intensely suffered during the travel, so substitute any cheese of your liking.

oOo

In the last day I found this interesting article criticizing the china study on the dangers of milk and I quite agree with the approach of the author. I feel that milk has been unjustly criminalized. It is correct to try to buy organic and to substitute vegetable based so called milks when possible, but to fight a crusade against real milk, that has been a very important part of our diets for centuries just does not seem right to me.

Then milk is the key ingredient of my beloved gelato and here David Lebovitz explains some facts about our own Italian ice cream. 
I just love his blog and I am looking forward to read and to test his latest book

Also I feel blessed because one of my favorite bloggers, Erin of Naturally Ella posted a recipe based upon my suggested choice of ingredients J
So yesterday I baked my zucchini boats stuffed with buckwheat and tomatoes and we have happily gobbled them down. Next time I wil try to grill the zucchini before stuffing them as she suggests, it just sounds brilliant.

For future reference I also take note of this recipe of Italian plum buckwheat cake that I definitely want to try. I had not idea you called ramassin Italian plums. I just remember the tree in my grandfather’s orchard and how sweet the fruits tasted. They also make the most stunning marmalade, in my opinion.








Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Letture ed una torta al limone

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale