Just wondering

I keep reading here and there on the net only to realize – suddenly – that I do not remember which information I have acquired. This is a bit scary and given that I am too young to have developed any degenerative disease I just had this tiny faint doubt whether the problem lies on the mean of information.

How come I can remember facts I have read in books or magazines last century and totally forget the trivialities I have read online only yesterday?

Well, according to a research made by the University of Wellington, Victoria, Australia, “In general, online reading was found to have a negative impact on people’s cognition. Concentration, comprehension, absorption and recall rates when engaging with online material were all much lower.”

This is a total relief: so I am not the only one. Apparently I am an innocent victim of an exposure to an exceeding amount of information. As said by these scholars, a “Cognitive overload may occur when more cognitive efforts are required than are available: human memory cannot cope with the amount of processing required, thus the information is inadequately processed.”


I have a new good proposal: limit my internet hopping and printing out more to read (sorry my beloved friend trees: I promise that I will also try to go to the library more often and look at those ancient things stored there, how were they called, oh yes, books and newspapers).

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Letture ed una torta al limone

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale