Slow Cooker Lentils

Years ago I acquired my friend’s R. slow cooker. She was moving back the US and I was the lucky one to get her almost brand new pot. Well, now I could not resist checking how much a new one costs and hey, R. it was not a great deal huh, I still love you dearly though.

I am ashamed to confess that as with most of my exotic kitchen appliances I did use it only once for Christmas holidays lentils (Italians believe that eating lentils at New Year’s Eve will bring loads of money in the upcoming year. It does not really work much, but at least you get lots of fiber). It was such a failure: I used my regular recipe and it turned out all mushy and dry.

Afterwards I decided to invest (or squander) some money on a cookbook (yes, another one. Did I mention that I am in a total freak out cookbook purchasing frenzy? You’ll see it in the coming months…).

I bought this cookbook in Chicago, great travel :-)
Now, after trying this recipe I am in love with my expensive slow cooker.

Beans and slow cooker are the perfect match.

What you need:
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp oil
A pinch of salt
1 fresh chili pepper, sliced
1 tbsp chili powder
1 ½ cups lentils (I substituted ½ cup spelt, as I had too little lentils)
3 cups of water
1 400 ml can of coconut milk (she wanted tomatoes, but mine were in the cellar)
Salt to taste (about 1 tsp)

How to do it

First stir fry the onion for a few minutes until golden and translucent. Add the fresh chili and let cook for a minute. Add the chili powder and barely mix. Put everything in the crock pot.

Add lentils, water and coconut milk. I cooked it on high for two hours. You can also cook it on low for 6/8 hours. It’s hot! Lovely! Adjust salt and seasoning.

Notes:

Every crock pot has its own personality, so know your own.

If you do not own one, stove top is fine. Yet the slow cooking seriously improve the taste of beans and pulses.

I did stir the lentils a couple of times during cooking time.

I also tried from the same book a minestrone, but it was a no-no. Minestrone comes out better on a regular stove.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Struggles and strudel