Millet with chickpeas

Yesterday while I was browsing through the Homemade flour cookbook  I stumbled upon my dinner idea, how convenient is that.

I had some fatty chickpeas waiting in their soaking pool at home and a bag of millet turning all corners of my pantry in hope of a getaway.

Inspired by millet polenta with chickpeas and spicy tomato chutney by Erin Alderson:

Millet

Well, I did not have time to turn the seeds into a flour. Or so I thought. I do adore millet

This time I cooked it in a non stick skillet, with a little more than double of its size of water. I skimmed off some froth and a lot more collapsed on my burner while I was bringing my son his pajama. So that was just the perfect ratio: how precise is this recipe, isn’t it? I just go mad when I cook things so and so and then I actually do like the end result. 

The non stick skillet has an immense bonus: the millet does not stick to the pot and it actually develops a sort of tiny crust which imparts the mushy millet a nuttier flavor.

As plain boiled millet is beyond words, I decided to add some celery, my veggie hero of the month. 

I cut 4 stalks in 1/8 inch pieces and stir fried them vigorously with some cracked green pepper and plenty of salt in the littlest amount of oil I could muster.

Mix it all up and here you have your grain base. It takes more to write it than to cook it.

Spicy tomato chickpeas

Here I altered a little the proportions to make it less spicy and less sweet:

1 onion, minced
Oil
1 inch fresh ginger, minced
5 chili peppers, crushed
2 can tomatoes (pelati: whole tomatoes in their juices)
½ cup raisins
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
Lots of freshly cooked chickpeas (about 1 cup dried beans, presoaked overnight and cooked under pressure for 20 minutes after the whistle starts)
Salt to taste

Sauté the onion with a pinch of salt in the oil for 5 minutes at medium heat. Add ginger and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add everything else and let it simmer for all the time it gets to have the millet ready and the chickpeas cooked. Stir in the drained chickpeas. Taste for salt. 

Enjoy it with your super celery millet mush.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Letture ed una torta al limone

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale