Riso soffiato camuffato

Lately I have been trying several recipes for no bake bars or similar stuff to use up my immense stock of puffed rice cereals, thanks to my beautiful son who makes me purchase them but only eats corn flakes. 

As my loved one and I are those kind of healthy people that need lots of fat at breakfast, the mere idea of eating the famously boring puffed rice with milk is beyond us. Yet with a proper camouflage of fats and sugars, we are slowly reducing the boxes available. I only hope that afterwards I am not going to develop an addiction to this stuff.

These recipes are my favorite so far:

Chocolate rice cakes from The Baker's Daughter
80 g puffed rice cereals
200 g chocolate
50 g butter

Just melt chocolate and butter together. Stir in the rice. Dollop in muffin paper cases: it yields 10 treats. Refrigerate and gobble it down.

The recipe is halved from the original. Actually as math has never been my forte, I did quarter the chocolate and used only 100 g (bitter) chocolate. It was sufficient, but I will give it a try with the full amount.

The book itself is awesome. It is not only a cookbook, but also a memoir of a family of bakers. The recipes work and now you can find nice used copies at really good prices.

Rice bars from My Darling Lemon Thyme

Let me say that I just love this cookbook. I bought it last week and I am so happy with it. There are gluten free recipes which actually do stand on their own as charming and do not try ever to mimic the gluten full counterparts. Also I appreciate that the author keeps an eye on the budget (what a relief: why do most of the cookbook use fancy – difficult to find – darn expensive ingredients?) and yet delivers imaginative and original recipes.

The book is in Australian cups and lists also a conversion in grams (uhm, not so accurate, if you ask me). So I simply used my American cup measurer.

2 ½ cup rice cereals (originally puffed millet)
½ cup tahini
1/3 cup honey (or ½ cup rice syrup)
3 tbsp coconut oil
½ cup cranberries
1/3 cup chopped almonds (originally pistachios)

Stir in the cranberries and almonds with the rice.

Melt together the tahini, honey and coconut oil.

Mix everything together.

Pour in a baking pan or whatever you fancy to use (lined with parchment paper), press it down a little and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours before attacking it.

Any nut butter will do; any liquid sweetener; any nuts and dried fruits. In my humble opinion this recipe carries just the right amount of ingredients to get a satisfying cereal bar, without being to sticky, dry or over or under loaded of fixtures.

***


Just in case you are totally bored of playing peek a boo with your little ones, be aware of the big picture: you are actually helping them develop the foundation of their personality! 

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Letture ed una torta al limone

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale