Tamale pie


This recipe is adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates.

As I had some black beans, dressed up with a sauce made with tons of celery, tomatoes, a pinch of chili pepper, salt to taste and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce, I used them as tamale pie bottom in my lovely cast iron skillet.

* I would like to take a moment to praise cast iron skillets. I purchased this after reading infinite odes to these pans and wondering why people loved them, considering that you have to take special care in the seasoning process of the darn things. Well: now I do understand. Sorry my dear skillet for doubting your true worthiness. You do make a tremendous difference in the quality of the food I am cooking especially, in my opinion, regarding prosciutto, bacon and the like and definitely with cornbread. You also improve the taste of spinach and sisters, if I remember to use small amounts. If by accident I use too many greens, then also you, my dear cast iron, do not manage to dispel the excessive water coming out.  *

The original recipe provides for veggies stir fried in some sauce (how accurate, you may say). Also the original tamale pies do require meat, such as a nice chili.

I am so hopeless at taking pictures
Then there is the cornbread topping:

1 cup corn meal (polenta fine)
2 tbsp all purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder (the recipe asks for more, but I did not bother, corn meal does not raise much anyway)
Some crumbled feta (my cheesy addition)
1 tbsp jalapeños or other fresh chili peppers, minced (my hot addition)
(the recipe requires a little bell pepper or some chives, isn't it? I did not have them at any rate)

2 eggs beaten
½ cup rice milk (the recipe asks for buttermilk, but I have rice milk to use up!)
2 tbsp olive oil
I did not add any salt, considering the darling feta above, but you make your own salty decisions

Mix dry ingredients, feta and jalapeños. Mix wet ingredients. Fold together until barely mixed.

Preheat the oven 180 ° C.

Ladle the beans or veggies or chili on the bottom of the pan.

Spread on top the cornbread.

Bake for 30/40 minutes until nice and gold.


My disbeliever other half had seconds and thirds and simply could not fathom how beans, cornbread and feta could pair so well together.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Letture ed una torta al limone

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale