The brownies

Hope you had a pleasant weekend.

I went to the seaside to take a walk and it was magic: how lovely to see the sand, the sea, and the sky and to forget about the mass to whom I belong, with all the summer trivial cramming along to survive the holidays.

True to my word I started browsing my cookbook collection and have been cooking several disasters (a leathery chicken curry and an anarchic crumbly flapjack among the lot).

Then yesterday finally a good result adapted from Levi Roots Sweet:

Melt 250 g butter with 250 g chocolate.
Whisk 5 happy eggs with 230 g sugar.
Sift 125 g flour, 100 g ground pecans, 3 tbsp cocoa, ¼ tsp allspice and cardamom each.
Fold everything together.
Bake at 180°C (fan) for 25-30 minutes.
Enjoy!

Notes:
1. The original recipe calls for good quality dark chocolate and more sugar (300 g caster and 85 g muscovado). I have some chocolate eggs fossils and I have used them up and hence I had to decrease the sugar. I usually melt butter and chocolate in the microwave. I know, not chic at all, but very convenient.

2. Also ground almonds were required in the original version, but I used some shelled pecans I purchased on bulk from my friend F.

3. Spice it up! Well, the original version called for ½ tsp allspice and the crushed seed of six cardamom pods. Italians are not generous on spices. I decreased them and I also make sure to preserve stale spices in my cupboard that tickle slightly the taste buds but never demonstrate any pretense to show up.

4. Baking time as usual is a guess: fan oven also dries things. I actually turned off the oven after about half an hour, but some edges were already burnt! This won’t stop us, but better to avoid next time. Actually the original version requires longer baking time, so as usual, know your appliances and test for doneness. I used a brownie tin and a rectangular cake tin.

5. The name: because these are the first brownies that I bake that do not turn out like chocolate cake or chocolate butter. Thank you so much Levi.



Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Letture ed una torta al limone

Venezia: Museo di Storia Naturale