Torta di grano saraceno di Marianna Franchi e un po' di foglie autunnali

If you have ever been in Alto Adige you probably have already enjoyed a slice or two or a thousand of this special cake with buckwheat flour.

I actually never thought about baking it at home and I was so totally sure that it contained hazelnuts, but I guess I was wrong...
You can find the traditional recipe here 

Recently I acquired  di farina in farina by Marianna Franchi who writes this beautiful blog Menta e Liquirizia

I’ve been coveting this book since it was published and then recently could not resist any longer its mermaid chant.

The book itself is just absolutely brilliant: Marianna is an engineer and you can tell from the impeccable organization of the book. There are recipes using all sorts of flours: the cereals are listed alphabetically and you do not need to flip to the table of contents to find the chapter you are looking for. Each chapter has an individual table of content with the recipes and miniatures of each picture. There are both sweet and savory recipes for anything possible and they work as they are, wonderful.

I baked already two buckwheat cakes with great satisfaction.

Prepare and set aside, each:
Pulse 200 g almonds with 50 g sugar until it resembles a flour.
Sift 280 g buckwheat flour with 16 g baking powder and a pinch of salt.
Whisk 4 egg whites until white peaks are formed.

Now to the dough:
Whisk 4 egg yolks with 200 g sugar until light and frothy.
Add 100 g oil and 2 tablespoons of sweet wine.
Add all the ingredients alternating with 200 g milk.
Bake @180° C for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
Let the cake cool down and then slice it in half and smear some blueberry jam in between.




Notes:

1. I substituted pecans for the almonds and it was still delicious.

2. I used cane sugar: the cake turned out browner.

3. the original recipe required ron and some vanilla.

4. I used a bundt form. I always use whatever tin available and do not care much about it. I just enjoy odd shapes.

5. I did not bother cutting the cake in half: as I am oh so decadent, I smeared homemade strawberry jam (thanks bro!) on each and every single slice I was eating.

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

Struggles and strudel